My contribution to the feast included a loaf of No-Knead Bread, and a platter of Naan.
Once home again, I made up a batch of Oatmeal Muffins that the guys take for work day breakfasts, and in the oven this very minute is a loaf of Banana Bread.
Below is my version of the Oatmeal Muffins because I took the recipe posted above, and made a few variations. You can look at their pretty pictures. Mine pictures didn't turn out as nice, but the idea is the same.
Individual Oatmeal Cups
- 1 banana, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups applesauce, unsweetened
- 6 packets of Sweetleaf Stevia or 1 1/2 teaspoons stevia powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups Old Fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 3/4 cups milk (I used 1% Lactose Free)
- Optional toppings: raisins, walnuts, chocolate chips - I've used chocolate chips and combo of blueberries, but the guys tell me the like the pecan/blueberry combo best and since those are mixed in, no need for additional toppings.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium sized bowl mash banana, then add eggs, vanilla, applesauce, and Stevia and mix together.
3. In a large bowl combine oats, salt, baking powder, flax, cinnamon, nuts and frozen berries, then add wet ingredients. Mix well.
4. Finally pour in milk and combine.
5. Spray 2 Extra Large (6 half cup) capacity muffin tins with cooking spray or use cupcake liners. Pour mixture evenly into muffin tin cups. About half cup each.
6. If using toppings add them onto the tops of muffins now.
7. Bake 45 minutes until a toothpick in center comes out clean. Cool and enjoy or freeze them in Ziploc bags. If using the smaller cupcake pans, bake 30 minutes.
We did a calculation and my husband determined one muffin counts as 10 or 11 points on his WW program. By using cupcake pans, figure about 5-6 points per muffin.
- Use a half cup to one cup of honey in place of stevia if you don’t have any. I've also used Truvia.
- The batter will look RUNNY, don’t worry!
- Freeze them in an airtight container or Ziploc bag after they have cooled. Thaw overnight in refrigerator for morning you want them.
- Reheat 45-60 seconds in microwave.
- Adding cream or milk over the top after warmed is very yummy!
- If you are gluten free, make sure you are using certified gluten free oats and baking powder.
- If you don’t have the stevia packets or powder only liquid, here’s the conversion chart.
Son just came up the stairs saying, "In the back of your car -- what is that delicious smell? Banana bread? Wow!" So I'm guessing that's a win! Oh, and what's in my car? Trash to take to the transfer station as we clean out in preparation of the great move... oh yeah. Fun times.
Happy Independence Day to you and your families!!